Skip to Main Content
- Creer, Ralph P. "The American Medical Association's Program for Medical Films." Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 35, no. 4 (1947): 342-351.
- Creer, Ralph P. "Motion Pictures in Medical Education." Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges 26, no. 6 (Nov. 1948): 375-379.
- De Lee, Joseph B. "Sound Motion Pictures in Obstetrics." Journal of the Biological Photographic Association 2, no. 2 (1933-34): 60-68. Find through WorldCat.
- Jones, Tom. "Via optica." Quarterly Bulletin of Northwestern University Medical School 20, no. 1 (Spring 1946): 71-76.
- Jones, Tom. "Visual Technics in Medical Education." Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges 21, no. 2 (March 1946): 65-74.
- Michaelis, Anthony R. Research Films in Biology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Medicine. New York: Academic Press, 1955. Find at NU.
- Montague, J. F. Taking the Doctor's Pulse. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1928. Find at NU.
- Morgan, Julie A. "The Department of Visual Medical Education: Its Work with Medical Motion Pictures." Quarterly Bulletin of Northwestern University Medical School 18, no. 1 (Spring 1944): 55-62.
- Ruhe, David S. "Illustrated Lectures in Moving Pictures." Journal of Medical Education 28, no. 9 (Sept. 1953): 30-38.
- Ruhe, Davis S. "Medical Education and Magnetic Sound-on-Film." Journal of Medical Education 27, no. 3 (May 1952): 184-192.
- Cartwright, Lisa. Screening the Body: Tracing Medicine's Visual Culture. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1995. Find at NU.
- The Educated Eye: Visual Culture and Pedagogy in the Life Sciences. Edited by Nancy Anderson and Michael R. Dietrich. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2012. Find through WorldCat.
- Gainty, Caitjan. "A Bit of Hollywood in the Operating Room." Medicine on Screen: Films and Essays from NLM, July 16, 2019.
- Learning with the Lights Off: Educational Film in the United States. Edited by Devin Orgeron, Marsha Orgeron, and Dan Streible. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012. Find at NU.
- Ostherr, Kirsten. Medical Visions: Producing the Patient through Film, Television, and Imaging Technologies. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013. Find at NU.
- Tosi, Virgilio. Cinema before Cinema: The Origins of Scientific Cinematography. Translated by Sergio Angelini. London: British Universities Film & Video Council, 2005. Find at NU.
- Films, American College of Surgeons Archives.
- LaRue Collection, Chicago Film Archives.
- Digitized AV Material, Arthur H. Aufses, Jr., MD Archives, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- Historical Audiovisual Recordings, Ruth Lilly Medical Library, Indiana University.
- Wellcome Library Moving Image Collection, Internet Archive.
- Audiovisual Collections, Chesney Archives, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Adolf Nichtenhauser Medical Film Materials, National Library of Medicine Digital Collections.
- Films & Videos, History of Medicine collection, National Library of Medicine Digital Collections.
- William Frederick Windle papers, Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library, University of California, Los Angeles.
- Ralph Creer papers, Health Sciences Manuscripts, University of Illinois at Chicago, Library of the Health Sciences Special Collections.